Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Being yourself

I saw this awhile ago on Pinterest and I just loved the saying:.
How often do we find ourselves changing to "fit" people?  relationships? families?   I know I have in my history.  I know my folks would say I marched to the beat of my own drum for much of my life.  And to a point I did.  Didn't mean I didn't want to fit in with kids or even my own family.  I was lucky in that I had a few good friends that accepted me for me and that seemed to be enough.  So I was able to just be me. 

I was me for a very long time.  I tried to join a sorority, but it just wasn't me.  I was in it for awhile, but just like everywhere else that wasn't me, I felt left out.   Then I found some friends.  Then it didn't matter.

Then I dated this guy.  All my other relationships, I never really changed from my core.  Initially I didn't with this one, as he was a friend, but the longer we dated, the more I seemed to conform to him.  I even married him.  At one point, I had no self-esteem and was miserable.  I was lucky in that I was able to get a different job that started praising me and making my self-esteem come back.  I eventually divorced him.

I swore at that point that I wouldn't ever not be myself.  But I lied to me.  I tried to fit in more and again was miserable.

So a few years ago, I became more spiritual.  Since then, I feel like I really am becoming who I have always been and what I should be.  It's a nice feeling to have.  Being spiritual has allowed me to accept me for me.  And before anyone else can accept you for you, you have to be true to one person - yourself.  Otherwise, they would be trying to accept someone who isn't real.

So, try and take a moment and see if you're being who you truly are.. and if not, make some changes so you are happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment