Saturday, October 5, 2013

Making Memories

The brain is an amazing organ - even my daughter's initial neurologist said so.  Now, thinking back in your life - what are the things that you remember the most.  Most people will say happy memories.  Not me.  I remember very hurtful times.  Except that one moment I fell down stairs and "almost" broke my ankle.  That I don't remember.  I remember the sensation of falling and then being on my back with my foot up in the air.

I remember each one of my kids being born.  Not that they were "terrible" memories, but because they were kind of stressful.  Each one of my pregnancies had complications, so why not have the births be as well.

Since my turn around with my spirituality, I really really try to keep out bad memories in my mind.  Because as humans we continue to live with them over and over again.  And if you're like me, why would you want to revisit bad times?  So I've been trying to remember good times.  More of them anyway.

Like for example, just last Christmastime, Emily came home crying and had her first red in school.  When I asked what happened, she told me she went to give Santa a hug and accidentally pulled down his pants.  I'm sorry, I busted out laughing.  Why?  Because I could totally see it happening.  Found out later though she saw Evan do it and thought it would be funny too. 

Watching her at her first dance recital.  With her scoliosis, I never thought I'd see her actually dance.  It was all I could do not to have the tears running down my face.

Sam, my youngest, who doesn't communicate and walk, due to her brain condition, saying I Love you Mama, after me telling her that.  Clear and concise and looking right at me.

Will, who upon hugging his toy bunny said to me in all seriousness, "He's sooo cuuuuute!".  Patterning after me saying it to him.

Their first laughs and smiles etc.  Those happy memories that make me smile even now.

I'm going through some difficult time in my marriage at the moment.  I hope I can keep them having good memories while going through this.  I try and keep things light around them and happy.

My favorite memory to date with them, introducing them to a "version" of Good Morning from Singing in the Rain - that when I'm home, we all now sing and it puts a smile on everyone's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment