Thursday, April 4, 2013

Getting Healthy

in Body, Mind and Spirit.  You would think that would be pretty easy..right?  WRONG :D

At least for me.  I have always been a picky eater.  However, I was always on the move, plus I took dance from 4-14.  As I've gotten older, I've slowed down, due to work being sedentary, and life in general.  Did I change my eating habits?  NO.  So, because of this, my weight crept up on me.  By the time I realized, I ended up going through a divorce and remarriage.  Then on top of that my first pregnancy - which of course had complications.  So from 36-41, I have been pregnant 3 times and had 4 kids.  That's a lot on the body.  Anyone who knows how hard parenting is normally, try adding other stress on top of that (Baby hospitalized, Baby dying, Twins!). 

Now, I've done Medifast and Weight Watchers.  They both worked to an extent.  But I'd always plateau or not have the money to keep up with buying of their food.

My husband has been on me to become more vegan among other suggestions of reading different books.  Considering I'm very picky, it's hard.  So I thought I was doing good by buying sweetners, low/no fat, and "diet" things.  Well I found this site called Beyond Diet.  The lady explains that we've over processed foods to the point that our body doesn't know what to do with them.  She gives alternatives that aren't complete sugar or processed wheat.  Thankfully I'm in an era where a lot of people are becoming gluten-free do to allergies.  So there are a lot more options.  For once I'm excited about how I can make this work, not only for me, but for my kids.

I have found as I have become more spiritually aware, my body is not liking the things I used to do.  Like drink Diet Coke.  I had to teach myself to drink "Diet" because I grew up drinking regular Coke.  Now I can't stand the taste of the regular sodas -- which are actually better for you (other than calories).  Other foods hurt my stomach are doing weird things to my face.  So when I ran across that website and heard all she had to say, I was like.. wow, I can do this.

As much as I would love a "quick fix", it wasn't quickly I put on the weight, it's been over years.  So how can I expect this to quickly fix things for me.  Plus, I need to get out of the mind set of "dieting" and just changing things slowly and surely.  The trick to this lifestyle is to listen to your body, to get it in a fat burning state by using natural products.  Ever hear of the Caveman diet?  My old boss and good friend was on that for awhile and back then I laughed.  But think about it, the caveman had to gather fruits, vegetables and meat.  Now, because I'm such a bread fiend, I can't give that up.  So I'm looking at alternatives.  No processed flour - using flour alternatives.  Making my own bread, crackers, pizza crust (which I was doing anyway) -- so I'm not losing what I like to eat, but changing it a bit to make it healthier.  Now that doesn't mean completely munching away like it won't matter -- calories still play a part.  It's getting away from the emotional eating (I'm bored or stressed).

Now, I haven't started this, I'm still doing research.  Things I need to get in place so that when I have everything to start -- I'll be ready, willing and ABLE - why, because instead of jumping in, I'll have the knowledge I need to do the things I need to make this work. 

Because some of my kids have health issues, I need to do this.  If I lose weight, great, the point is for all of us to become healthier.  It may be a cost up front, but think of all the money we spend eating out, eating the bad foods, that make us then have to buy new clothes because the old ones don't fit.  Besides, sitting down for dinners is a good thing.  Gives you a chance to be with your loved ones and give yourself a break.

I figure once I get my body on track - -which includes my mind, my spirit stuff will come along and probably faster because I'm no longer poisoning my body. :)

So how will you get "healthy" in body, mind or spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment