Thursday, May 23, 2013

4 years...

since my little Trisomy 18 angel came into our lives.  Sarah was born on May 22, 2009.  Her due date was technically in June.  I was very blessed to have wonderful doctors and nurses whose only thought was to give us time with her.  We knew she had a heart issue.  We knew she had a cleft lip/palate as well.  During the pregnancy I had polyhydramnios (extra amnio fluid) -- way extra.  We didn't know why that was happening, it apparently happens sometimes with Trisomy pregnancies.

So we went into this appointment, not prepared to give birth, just to have a look and go home.  It was Memorial Day weekend.  Had our weekly scan and the perinatologist came in to say she didn't like the look of the cord.  That she wanted us to deliver immediately.   We weren't prepared, I didn't have my bag or any of her things.  Our home was over an hour away.  We thought we had got them to decide to wait until after the holiday.  They just wanted me over to the hospital to get checked to make sure I wouldn't have my water break. 

I knew something was up when they put an IV in me.  My OB was supposed to be off at 5, but she stayed to deliver Sarah.  You would think that the whole process would be very dire and quiet.  But it wasn't.  There were a ton of people in the room (teaching hospital) and they made it very lively.  For that I'm eternally grateful.  Because to be honest, we didn't know if she'd be alive once she was out.

She was.  And what a lovely soul she was.  She gave us 2 days with her and made very goal I set out for her.  My only regret was not more pictures of her and me together.  It was on the 24th of May, when they took a scan of her stomach, because the formula kept coming back up that we found out her esophagus had not attached to her stomach.  At that point, we knew it was just a matter of time.

My parents had driven 2 days to get there.  She made it long enough for them to get to hold her and tell her they loved her.  Then she passed in my arms.

She was a life lesson and a gift.  Anyone who has gone through something similar will probably tell you the same.

It's been 4 years since she came into and went out of our lives.. but we'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment