Thursday, June 27, 2013

Be true to who you are..

I pulled this card today:



















Authenticity is the genuine expression of all that you truly are. It is acting in full accordance with your beliefs, values, talents, interests and characteristics. It is honoring and living your own uniqueness.

So funny that this card came up.  I know I've been trying to be true who I am without disrupting other people's lives and beliefs.  But I've also been reading/watching the thing coming out with Paula Deen.  Maybe I just see things clearer, but I never thought she wasn't anything other than who she was.  A Southern born and bred woman who kind of tells it like it is.  So I don't get this madness where people (corporations etc) are all of a sudden slamming a woman, or anyone for that matter.

I think back to my grandfather, whom I loved dearly.  He too was raised in the "south".  He wasn't the best of equality.  But I think that's a how you were raised thing.   Am I saying the things that came out of her mouth bad -- yes.  But you also have to think about the situation(s) in which it may have happen.

How often have you curse out your parents, boss, spouse - etc?  It's usually a "moment" thing.  You call them bad things and then if you're like me, feel bad about it later.

Authenticity is living your truth. It is not about compromising your values or ‘caving in’ to another person’s ideas. Healthy compromise is working together in harmony for the betterment of all – this is different than discarding your truth. People discard their truth in order to gain something that seems important to them - like attention, power, approval or security. When you betray your truth, you loose respect, integrity, trust and self-esteem.

I wish we could live in a world where everyone is accepted and no one is persecuted.  It's not going to happen though.  The world is what it is.  However, if we can be true to ourselves and show others to live through love and acceptance, you might touch one or a few people who then in turn will learn a new behavior and hopefully spread it as well.

The lifelong journey of discovering who you really are, along with the development of self-worth, will increase your capacity to live an authentic life. The journey of uncovering who you are will never be finished because you are continually growing and changing – becoming more of who you truly are!

So change something in your life that gets you upset -- it's kind of like handling a temper tantrum of a toddler :D  Walk away.. don't give them the attention that they are apparently craving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment