Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 2 - Woman

Here we are with day2 of reclaiming who I am.  I chose Woman today as woman has so many different connotations with it.

Most people think of woman and think dresses, high heels, makeup, hair and nails done, cooking/cleaning, taking care of the kids etc etc etc.

Growing up my parents did the typical stuff for a girl - pink and gingham.  However, there weren't girls around where I lived for a long time, just boys, so I ran around with them.  I never got girls and the games they played and most of my friends growing up were guys.

So I'm not the typical girl or woman.  I don't play games, I only wear makeup when I need to, I hate heels and will not wear them and so I don't wear a lot of dresses either.

I will take the part of woman to say I'm caring and love my children and try and see different perspectives.  I do like to cook, just not often time to do it.  I don't like to clean, but it's become necessary for the health of myself and my kids.  I am very kind and caring - sometimes too much so that it can get me into trouble.

Often many times a woman is thought not to be a woman if she doesn't want kids or can't have them.  I think that's a fallacy.  I know at one point in my life I thought that way.  I mean what's the point of being a woman if you can't have kids.  There's so much more to being a woman than just that.  But it's hard to see that during that time when all you can think about is kids.

I would like to think the label Woman is about strength.  Maybe not completely physical like a Man would be, but we have our own type of strength.  I know in losing my daughter I got told I was strong.  Well of course I was, I'm not the type of woman that falls apart in front of people.  I hold my grief in to be a private thing - but often I'm strong for others and help them as they may not be as strong and need that support.

So for me, I take in the following for the label woman:

Strength, emotional, caring, non-judgmental, intelligent, creative, level-headed, supportive, kind, and I'm sure there's more, but with lack of sleep, I'm drawing a blank at the moment.  Regardless, I am glad to be a woman and enjoy every moment - even the bad one.  As we can not grow and learn unless we appreciate all aspects.  #NOLABELS

No comments:

Post a Comment