Monday, September 30, 2013

Day 28 - Book Lover

OK, in a previous post, I wrote about wanting to write and be an author.  I got that love of doing that and creating stories, but reading.  From an early age, I read.  My parents would turn on a light and let me read, until I became sleepy.

Growing up, we didn't have computers or cable TV, so it was either play outside, or read.  I did a bit of both, but if it came down to it, I was a bookworm through and through.  And it showed at school.  I was in the higher reading group, during our free time I was usually reading.  My librarian knew me well.  My Mom, also worked in our public library for a brief time, so I remember getting spend all sorts of time there reading.  What great memories.

Now, I even have one time during a study hall, where I was so engrossed in my book, I had no idea what was going on around me.  The kids apparently were causing trouble.  I only looked up when I heard the door slam open and our 6'3 principal yell, "What is going on here?  The only person I see doing anything constructive is Erin."  Oh goody me.  My love of reading made me stand out in Junior High!  Yeah me!  So instead of study hall, they made it kind of a detention.  They put certain people up at the top of the row of desks and the only person in that same row could talk to was the one at the top of their row.  Guess who go to be it.  Yup.  Thank you teachers!  Now I couldn't read in peace because I had to have the most talkative group.

Moving on to high school.  I want to say it was my Sophomore year.  English class we were to read a book and do a book report.  I choose Gone with the Wind.  I had read it in the past, but it was going to be an easy book to report on.  However, not long after I chose that book, my History teacher decided to talk about the Civil War by playing the movie Gone with the Wind.  So of course, when I went to give my book report, kids in my class just happened to mention to the teacher that we were watching the movie in History.  So of course she looks at me and says ok, what can you tell me about the book that isn't in the movie.  Of course I could, anyone who had actually read all 1037 pages could.  So I started listing the things for her.  Boy were the kids shamefaced thinking that me -- the person they know reads.. actually read.  Gotta love high school.

I kept my literary stuff going on.  I read so much that most of my paycheck went to books.  I had bins of them.  However, it got to a point, to show my husband how much I was serious about getting rid of things, that I did just that.  I think I kept just a few series that I really liked, the rest gone. 

Then I invested in a Kindle.  I'm in heaven.  With the kindle and a prime membership you can rent once a month certain books to check out.  Authors even offer specials (aka FREE) from time to time.  You just have to be on top of it.

I will probably keep reading until my eyes can't anymore.  And now with technology - we have audio books on mp3 - so I could hear them.  So, until books are no longer published.. I will continue to be a Book Lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment