Monday, September 30, 2013

Day 27 - Non-Judgmental

Today my label is Non-Judgmental.  This is a label I claim proudly.  Too often in this society we judge people.  And trust me, I wasn't always non-judgmental.  I was just like everyone else.  Then something happened where I was interested in people that weren't like me.

I worked in a video store where a woman and her disabled son came in to get movies every once in awhile.  He was in a wheelchair and had a board where he could talk from.  Pretty good for back in those days.  Well, he loved telling me jokes.  His Mom was very appreciative of me treating him "just like normal"  and I thought to myself at that point, why wouldn't I.  From that moment I realized I had been judging people without giving them a benefit of a doubt.  I tried from then not to do that.  Even when I'd hear their stories, I'd try not to judge.  It wasn't up to me to do that.  If there were things I didn't agree with and a core level, I still didn't judge, I just may not associate, because it went against who I was becoming.

Then came my time of things I'm not proud of.  I would hope no one would judge me  - but I know the world we live in does just that.  So I really make it a point not to do it to others.  So I tend to attract quirky kind of people around me.  You know what - it makes life interesting.  And if I can be that one person that accepts them for them, it can make all the difference to that person.  And that's a great feeling to know you have at least one that won't judge.  I like that I can be that to people.  I may not understand everything, but no judgement here.  Not my place to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment